Sunday, June 26, 2016

God is color, God is dancing, God is music, and God is here

We have been in Guatemala for nearly three weeks, and the concept of going back to my “normal” life in the States seems so foreign—more foreign, even, than the magnificent colors I wake up to every day, and understanding that hardly anyone around me speaks English. In September of last year, the Lord told me that my first mission trip was going to last an entire summer, and as I think about the fact that my time in Guatemala is nearly halfway lived out, I’m so thankful that I still have another month to breathe in life where I am.
            I’m not sure if it’s the peaceful beauty of my surroundings, or being in (literal) constant community with a team of girls who are set on speaking truth and encouragement, but this month has brought out of me passions and gifts and a fullness of life that I didn’t even know were there. The exquisite realness of God is everywhere and in everything. He is covering the mountains. He swirls with the sparkling sand in the lake. He inhabits our praises during worship. He is the vibrancy of my watercolors. He is in the echo of every strum of my guitar, and he pours out through every afternoon thunderstorm. And this all comes with a heaviness of heart that I’ve never experienced before now, but a heaviness which has lifted every burden off my shoulders and allowed me to dance freely and lightly on the rooftops of our home.
             Before coming to Guatemala, before sitting in homes where the floor is the dirt of the land, before washing the feet of a man who hasn’t walked in three years, I had to strain to feel the presence of Jesus. I would sit in my bedroom floor with worship music on, and I would wait for that moment where my heart would leap, and a tear would occasionally fall from experiencing maybe a fleeting second of his glory. Not so here. From the time I wake up to the time I fall asleep, there is tangible evidence of God, flashing in colors before my eyes during worship, resounding in the music of my team as we sing to the sick and the broken. He is heavy in these villages, but the yoke that he carries is so unbelievably light.
            As most of you know, my original call for the summer was to Nepal, and finding out that I was no longer able to go there shattered my heart. One of the most beautiful sights on our team is the love one woman of God can have for one specific nation. We have a member whose heart breaks for Africa, and another who sits in awe of the adoration she has for Guatemala. There are many with a moving passion for the Hispanic culture, and one whose heart and blood and toil lies in Bolivia. There are many who long for the field of those targeted by human trafficking, and nearly all of us are broken and wrecked by the idea of the refugee crisis in Greece and Syria. And as I sit in wonder at the magnificent blessing it is to spend THIS summer with THIS team in THIS country, I know that my nation is Nepal. I don’t know when the Lord will send me there, I don’t know how long it will be for, and I don’t know who I will go with, but I do know that there will be a hole in my heart until I eventually get there.
            The cool thing about Jesus, though, is that he knew that my heart wouldn’t be ready for what I am to experience there until I came to THIS nation with THESE people for THIS season. And I often laugh at myself for thinking I know better than my creator, for even fathoming the idea that I could figure this all out on my own. In only three weeks, my mindset of God has taken a complete shift that will be absolutely necessary for whatever will happen when I return home next month.
            Please continue to pray for the people of San Pedro, San Pablo, Tzununa, and the surrounding villages of Lake Atitlan. There is a darkness that has settled here through time, with false idols and demonic practices on every corner. My team has experienced this darkness in a very real way since arriving here, but we have also seen the power of prayer protect a man’s home and job from a destructive mudslide.
            Please feel free to email me with any questions you have about my team and what we are doing at savannahbuttram@icloud.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment