Monday, March 28, 2016

just when you think you have it all figured out...

... The Lord says, "No, my child! I have it all under control."
     The past four months have been full of preparation to spend two months in Nepal. Constant fundraising. Constant prayer for the Nepali people. Constant requests for God's provision over a $5,100 mission trip. I was ready, and I was $1,500 away from my feet hitting the ground in Kathmandu. And then, on the last Friday of March, I received a phone call informing me that the trip to Nepal was being cancelled. Cancelled?
      Immediately, I begin to think, "Okay, God. What the heck are you doing?" So I just began to pray. I had all of this money donated to my account with Adventures in Missions, so I had to find another country to spend two months in... by the April 1 deadline. I researched and researched and prayed for the Lord to weigh a specific nation on my heart, but contrary to popular belief, God doesn't always come to you in a big booming voice to let you know where you should go. To be completely raw with you guys, I was fighting off severe frustration with God. How could He weigh a nation so heavily on my heart and then take the opportunity away? How could He allow me to prepare myself to spend months in the Himalayas only to not allow me to go? 
    But I was reminded that afternoon of something that should have been so obvious: God saw this coming. God knew the trip would eventually be canceled. And I don't know if He had me commit to this trip to Nepal just to draw my attention to the country I would actually be spending sixty days in, but regardless of the reasoning I'll never understand, he drew me to Guatemala. And now I have the opportunity to spend the summer in Central America, and with the perfect timing He tends to have, I have already raised the perfect amount of money for this trip. With the generosity of you all and the open doors for art commissions, the Lord has provided the base $3,000 for the trip, $200 for insurance, and even extra funding for traveling and outdoor gear. And today, hearing that I am being placed on the team to Guatemala, I was just comforted with the reminder that even when things seem to shatter, even when plans go haywire, God has it all under control. 

And then I think back to this past week. A week where ALL the lost nations have weighed so heavy on my heart. A week where I have sat and cried in my car for the lost people of EVERY nation, not just Nepal, who need the love of Jesus. And I realize that not only did the Lord see this coming, but He also prepared my heart for this change of plans. All week, He has reminded me that it's not just Nepal who needs Him--it's every nation. 

So, I am so excited (and incredibly nervous) to say, after much confusion and desperate prayer, that I will leave June 3rd to spend all of June and July ministering to the people of Guatemala. And God is so good. 

I want to say a special thank you to every person who has provided financially and prayerfully for this. Without the generosity of the loving people around me, I would be hopeless in this venture, and I constantly pray that your investment in the furthering of the Kingdom will go to eternal difference in people's lives. Please continue to pray for open hearts in the nation of Guatemala and for the Spirit of the Lord to touch those we encounter, for without Him, our efforts are meaningless. Love and prayers are sent your all's way; feel free to message me with any questions you have about this mission and updates on what my team and I will be up to!

xo Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment